Channel and Contain Fire & Smoke
Newtex is a global leader in the fabrication of custom fire curtains, draft curtains, and smoke partitions. Utilizing our almost four decades of experience in high temperature performance fabrics, we developed Z-Block™ coating and substrate fabrics, specifically designed to channel smoke and prevent the spread of fire. We partner with leading automation and engineering firms to deliver automated solutions featuring our Z-Block™ curtains to your custom specifications, and we contract with experienced partners for field engineering and installation work. If static panels or curtains are needed, we are often able to support directly. Z-Block™ materials are commonly used in systems that meet the UL 10B and UL 10D standards.
Fire and smoke curtains are intended to work in parallel with alarm and fire suppression systems to deliver more comprehensive risk mitigation. Z-Block™ curtains are now deployed in some of the newest malls, tallest buildings, and largest military and commercial warehouses and hangars in the world.
- Rolling Curtains and Doors: These vertically deploying fire and smoke rated curtains drop down when needed to isolate fire and channel smoke. Rolling curtains can be installed in any commercial building. Rolling doors are commonly used in the shipping industry as doors for Unit Load Devices (ULDs).
- Draft Curtains: These lightweight, static panels are designed to channel smoke in the rafter area out through the appropriate vents.
- Accordion Curtains: These fire-rated folding curtains are designed for building interiors with unusual angles and tight corners.
Z-Block™ has been tested to the following standards:
- ISO 12236 - Static Puncture Test
- FAR 25 Appendix F Part III - Flame Penetration Resistance
- FAR 25 Appendix F Part IV - Heat Release Rate
- FAR 25 Appendix F Part V - Smoke Density
- ASTM D6413 - Vertical Flame Resistance
- ASTM E-84 - Surface Flame Spread and Smoke Density
- ASTM F-955 - Molten Metal Resistance
- ASTM E-119 - Furnace Tested
- UL 1784 - Smoke Penetration
- BSS 7239 - Non-Toxicity of Products of Combustion
In addition to Z-Block™ fire & smoke curtains, Newtex also manufactures ZetexPlus® proscenium curtains for fire protection in auditoriums and theaters and Z-Flex® Multilayer Aluminized curtains for radiant heat protection. The ZetexPlus® proscenium curtains have been certified by the California State Fire Marshal (CSFM) and the New York City Department of Buildings. Z-Flex® fabrics have been tested extensively for radiant heat resistance, molten metal resistance, and limited flame spread.