NFPA 1971 Certified Aluminized Fabrics
Z-Flex® Silver™ multilayer aluminized fabrics are specifically engineered to provide durability, comfort, and superior protection from radiant energy in proximity firefighting applications, including aircraft rescue firefighting (ARFF). By reflecting up to 95% of radiant energy, Z-Flex® Silver fabrics allow close flame proximity while reducing the rate of heat absorption that can lead to thermal fatigue.
Z-Flex Silver is available in three NFPA 1971 certified styles:
- Z-Flex Silver P-202 features a Mock-Knit™ flame resistant fabric base by PBI Performance Products.
- Z-Flex Silver Air P-202 features a perforated Mock-Knit PBI base for breathable protection for heat and fire.
These NFPA 1971 certified heat shielding fabrics are now available from leading proximity suit manufacturers including:
The Anatomy of Z-Flex Silver Fabrics
Layer 1: Z-Flex® Aluminized Film
High purity aluminum particles act as a radiant heat barrier, reflecting up to 95% of high temperature infrared radiant energy from heat and flames.
Layer 2: High-Temperature Film
A high temperature barrier film significantly reduces conductive heat transfer through the fabric system.
Layer 3: Z-Flex® Aluminized Film
A secondary layer of pure aluminum particles increases the effectiveness of the outer heat shield while providing added reflectivity and another layer of fire protection.
Layer 4: Proprietary Bonding System
An advanced thermo-set polymer system delivers superior thermal performance over traditional rubber-based adhesives.
Layer 5: 3D Mock-Knit™ Fabric
The Mock-Knit design featured in the P-202 flame resistant fabrics is a patented, innovative weave structure that delivers the hand and comfort of a knit while providing the strength and insulation of a woven fabric. The multidimensional weave structure significantly enhances the bond between the aluminized film and the fabric, leading to improved field performance and a longer life for the aluminized fabric and proximity suit.
Z-Flex Silver has been tested to the following standards:
- NFPA 1971:2018
- NFPA Certified Proximity Suits
- Proximity Suits for Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting (ARFF)
- Aluminized Clothing (Jackets, Pants, Shrouds)
- Heat Shields
Related News & Press Releases
- NFPA 1971:2018 Certificate for Z-Flex P-202 (PDF)
- Newtex Performance Materials Overview (PDF)
- Application Bulletin: Advancements in Aluminized Materials for Firefighting (PDF)
- Z-Flex Silver Aluminized Fabrics (PDF)
- Z-Flex (PDF)
Typical Applications & Industries
Firefighting, Foundry Casting & Glass, Military & Homeland Security, Personal Protective Apparel, Radiant Heat Control,